48, Milan, Sant’Alessandro, plan

Larger Image

Inscribed ‘PLAN/S.ALLESANDRO[sic]/MILAN’, with other notes in pencil, 230x160mm.

Sant’Alessandro, Piazza Sant’Alessandro, was erected in 1602 to the design of the Barnabite monk Lorenzo Binago (1554-1629). Despite giving little evidence of an interest in the Baroque throughout his Italian tour, Mackintosh was so impressed by the plan of this church (in which the nave, unusually, is dominated by a dome) that he drew it twice (see also p. 63a).

Modern Photo

Modern location photo